Monthly Archives: April 2010
If you’ve been following my blog then you know I’ve been working on figuring out a style with my Marines that works for me. I can’t say with 100% certainty that I’ve found it but I feel I’m on the path at least. With my Orks I play pretty much a Speed Freek list because that’s a style that suits me. The key thing here is doing something that suits you.
With ‘ard Boyz being next month everyone at the shop is getting ready for it, well except for a few of us. So, I’ve been showing up with 2,500 point lists to play against those who are going to enter. Last night I got to play Brian, an Ultramarine player, who wanted to play test a list of his. His list was:
The last shot wasn’t 100% complete and Joe liked what he saw but wanted a few things done. I’ve done that, highlighted the bolter now (except what will be metallic), did a simple highlight on the right shoulder and highlighted under the eye lenses. Here’s the finished product.
Progress has been a bit lower than I’d like but progress is progress. The first unit always takes longer since I’m working out the technique I plan to use for the entire army and refining my approach. That being said, the 10-man Veteran Squad is now complete. I should have some squad pictures up this week. I’ve primed 10 Tact Marines and 5 Devastators also. I’ll be moving on to painting 10 Assault Marines this week and hopefully with the technique figured out it will go much faster.
Last night I got in two games using my Marines. Both games were against fellow Marines and both games were losses. My record is far from great with my Marines. I love the fluff, I enjoy the modeling and I like the models themselves but I just can’t seem to win a game with them. I’ve been thinking long and hard as to why I’m not doing better and I think I’ve come to a conclusion.
Here’s the test model I was working on. Joe wanted mostly black with some gold trim. The bolter isn’t done yet though and I have a purity seal to put over the hole in the backpack but otherwise it’s “finished”. Joe is having me just do the black and gold while he’ll take care of the smaller details once he has the figures. The black has three shades of gray for highlights though it’s hard to pick them out in the shots. I wanted to get some shots quickly this morning before work while I had light so they aren’t great.
I managed to get the last 10 Tact Marines assembled this weekend, 2 Rhinos base coated, 5 Command Squad base coated and 10 Veterans base coated with one test model just about complete. Now that I’m on to painting I think things are going to start flying along.
Played at the FLGS last night and ran into a situation which I fell victim to and no doubt others out there do to. I do this more often than I should so this is just as much making you all aware as reprimanding myself for it (bad Thor!).
After a long, long (did I say long?), time of putting together a chapter worth of Marines we’re just about ready to start putting a brush to the models. This weekend I’ll get a test model done and track down the beast that seemed to have hidden my camera on me and slay it so that I can get shots up of the test model.
The previous theme was very clean looking, professional and nicely done but it was a pain in my ass. I put a ton of work into revising it so I was happy with it and even then I had some issues still. Most of those issues got resolved in a new version of theme, which was great, but at the same time all my work was gone. I of course had backups of the work I did but even still it meant making all those updates again…just not worth it. Plus, really the style was for magazines with the cool image slider and post images. Most of the images I was using I probably shouldn’t have been and that theme put the focus on the images and less on the content. So all that being said, I’m happy with this theme you’re seeing. It’s clean and simple and easy to work with from the back end.
Battle Missions has been out for a little while now and I’ve finally gotten a handful of games under my belt with it and I have to say I really, really like what they’ve done. First off, having more than three missions to choose from is damn nice. The book is packed with 66 missions so it’s going to take you a long, long time to get through them all. Each army has three missions themed for their army but the great part is you can play those missions without using that army. You have Orks and your buddy has Marines and you want to play one of the Eldar missions? Well you can. Some missions have army specific special rules, so if you’re playing an Eldar mission with Eldar then you get X special rule, but they also tell you what to do if you aren’t fielding that army, thus making all missions viable for any army to play.
I’ve now played three games against the new Blood Angels with my Orks. I have not seen everything the codex has to offer of course but I’ve certainly seen some of the key units and rules in those games.
I’ve completed assembling two 5-man Devastator squads and the 6-man Red Scorpions. All I have left to finish is 10 Tactical Marines and 10 Assault Marines. I’ll be starting on the Assault Marines tonight. If things go well then this weekend I’ll have all the assembling completed and moving on to painting. It’s a week behind what I was aiming for but Easter took out a chunk of my time to work on the figures.