The January tournament at my FLGS will be 1,650. As we (the players), always tend to do, once we know the points limit we start working on lists and practicing. I’m going to make a very solid attempt to work through a list, and not change it up week after week like usual. One of my biggest weaknesses as a player is that I bounce between lists a lot. I often judge the merit of a list from one game, one opponent, when I know better. Plus, I never get comfortable with the list. When you’re comfortable with a list you know the strengths and weaknesses of it, and as a result can play to that and improve your games.
To that end, I have a list I’m working on. This list is tweaked a bit from one I played last week. In the game I played last week, the list did very well and held up. I lost the game, but I did do a ton of damage, and had a fair amount left on the board. The failure of the game was a few mistakes on my part, the type of thing that list familiarity will overcome. See how that comes back around?
Disciples of Twilight (Chaos Space Marines): 1,650
- Maelstrom (Sorcerer) – Psyker (Mastery Level 3), Combi-bolter, Force Weapon, Terminator Armor, Spell Familiar
- Vengeance (Chaos Space Marines) x 5 – Veterans of the Long War, Plasma Gun
- Aspiring Champion – Melta Bombs, Combi-plasma
- Rhino – Dozer Blade
- Redemption (Chaos Space Marines) x 5 – Veterans of the Long War, Meltagun
- Aspiring Champion – Melta Bombs, Combi-melta
- Rhino – Dozer Blade
- Cultists x 10 – Autoguns, Heavy Stubber
- Cultist Champion – Shotgun
- The Unbound (Spawn) x 5 – Mark of Nurgle
- Forgefiend – Ectoplasma Cannon x 3
- Devastation (Obliterators) x 3 – Mark of Nurgle
- Havocs x 10 – Veterans of the Long War, Autocannon, Missile Launcher x 3
- Aspiring Champion – Melta Bombs
- Mayhem Pack
- Deathcry (Helbrute) – Power Fist, Missile Launcher
- Hellscream (Helbrute) – Power Fist, Multi-melta
- Helbrute – Power Fist, Multi-melta
My Sorcerer will join up with the Obliterators and do his thing. Lately I have gone full Telepathy with him to focus and work on getting Invisibility. Plus, I also like the other powers in Telepathy. I want my Sorcerer to support the army and I feel Telepathy does that very well.
I played last week with the Havocs and was pretty pleased with them. Going for a larger squad to have some padding before you start losing heavy weapons is damn handy. They did pretty well in the game too, so I’ll keep working with them and see how it goes. Oh, the odd autocannon in there is because it’s what I have for models. I need to get another missile launcher at some point.
The Mayhem Pack is a change from last week’s list. That list had two Helbrutes, so with some shuffling I got the third to run the formation. That will let them deep strike, gain It Will Not Die, and they roll on the Crazed table each turn. I’ve run the formation a few times before and I liked it. Honestly, the rules they gain from the formation should just be normal rules for them. Maybe some day…
All-in-all the list is more balanced than I tend to run. Like I said, I ran this last week (mostly), and I was very happy with the list, despite losing the game. So, I’m going to stick with it, get comfortable with it, and see what happens at next month’s tournament with it.
Feedback, comments, and suggestions always welcomed.