Kamui’s Summer Challenge 2011: One Down…

Summer Challenge: LateOk, so the summer is slipping away and I’m far from finished with my army.  The Bjorn conversion took a lot more time than I’d expected.  The good news is that I’ve finished the modelling I need to field my list, and the paint scheme I’ve chosen lends itself well to batch painting.  I have one full squad of Grey Hunters finished and a bunch more underway.

Below are some pictures of the first squad finished, 10 Grey Hunters with 2 Plasma Guns, one Mark of the Wulfen, and one Wolf Standard:

The Reavers are a ship bound chapter (I’ll post the conclusion of their origin fluff soon) so I decided to base them as if they were fighting on a space hulk.  They’ll all be standing on grates or deck plating.  I’ve used a fiberglass mesh to add grated flooring to this unit.  I didn’t want the worn metal of the power armor to blend too much into the basing-that would make the models a bit bland.  To contrast them a bit I’ve made the flooring more heavily rusted than the armor.  They may not paint their armor but the certainly take care to make sure it isn’t corroding away!

Summer Challenge: Grey Hunters 1cSummer Challenge: Grey Hunters 1aSummer Challenge: Grey Hunters 1b

  • I think that’s the most painting I’ve seen you do in a long time. They look good. The red and gold is a nice contrast to the armor and once you base them it will really all pull together nicely. Oh, and everything takes longer than expected.

  • Anonymous

    Thanks.  I’m happy with the way the color scheme worked out and once I figured out what I want to do it comes together quickly.  I have another ten standard bolter marines that just need fine details and pack markings so I’m roughly half way through the Grey Hunters.

    It’s hard to tell in the pictures but these are based.  I’m going to try for a redder rust on the next batch and I may come back to this one when I get a better effect.  It’s also hard to see in the pics but the plasma marines’ faces are under-lit by the plasma coils.  I’ll try to get some better individual pictures tonight.

    • I’m blind, I see the basing now. Maybe it’s the lighting but the basing color seems to blend with the armor.

      • I still don’t have the color I want but I stopped playing with it because too many coats will fill the grating in.  These were black, then iron oxide, then orange.  The first coat of orange looked perfect going on but was almost imperceptible when dried.  The second coat was too orange. 
        On the next batch I’m going to mix iron oxide with orange for the highlight.  When I find the mix I like I’ll come back to these for a final highlight.

  • Anonymous

    Where is the tiger stripped marine!!!!

    • He’s on the lava base.

      • The tiger striped marines are still sitting in the tray waiting to be reworked.  It was an experiment that ultimately didn’t fit into the army well.  I may bring one back as a lone wolf some day…
        In the mean time I suggest you go here for your tiger fix:
        http://www.fightingtigersofveda.com/Gallerytroops.html

        • Anonymous

          no friggin way. That is rad!

%d bloggers like this: