Basing the Chaos Knight Titan – Work in Progress

One thing I had struggled with for a while was how to base my Chaos Knight Titan. I didn’t want to do anything overly elaborate, but I also wanted more than my normal process of gluing down sand and adding snow. Then it struck me, my answer was right here on this site. Yep, that awesome tutorial that Falconer did for earth basing.

I had to go out and get some cork board and spackle. With the tools ready, I went to it, but I kept it simple. I wanted to elevate the Chaos Knight so that I could (later), create a good frozen stream like area. So, I just elevated each foot.

Chaos Knight Titan: Basing WIP #1

From there, it was the fun part of spackling the cork board so the transitions weren’t so abrupt. Basically, following Falconer’s tutorial. I didn’t get any shots of this step I’m afraid.

It was time to glue down some sand. Again, taking Falconer’s advice, I used sand of different sizes to create variation. I only had two sizes I could use, so it’s not as varied as Falconer’s in his tutorial, but it’s not a huge deal. Unlike what Falconer was doing, I will be covering a lot of area on the base with snow and frozen water. For the most part, I will be covering most of what you see, so perfection isn’t all that required.

Lastly, once everything dried, I went ahead and got it all primed. It’s always nice to see everything a single color and get a better feel for the result.

Chaos Knight Titan: Basing WIP #5

I couldn’t leave it there. I had to get a base coat on the basing. I did a heavy wash of a dark brown, let that sit for a few minutes, and then came in with the same color again and dabbed it on to get better coverage on the raised sand and gravel.

With that color down, I then liberally washed it with thinned down black.

Chaos Knight Titan: Basing WIP #10

That’s where it’s going to stay for now. You’ll notice some paint on one of the Knight legs. I started doing that when the base was drying. I want to get the legs near complete before I finish off the base. I just have to do some progressive layers of dry brushing on the base, nothing major, but I don’t want to do it now and then slip, or mess something up, while I’m handling the base to paint the legs.

More to come soon.

  • Good to see it coming together man, lots of layers on that base eh?

    • Yeah. It’s all about getting things layered up, and building color on top of color, to create something that looks real. Basing isn’t my strong suit though, so we’ll see how I do.

  • I so want a chaos knight of my own.

    • If I didn’t have a friend give me his tournament winnings one day, and me have a 30% discount card in hand, I wouldn’t own one. It’s just such a big price tag that it’s a barrier, no matter how cool it is.

      • Yeah, that’s so cool what he did.

  • Great job hiding the cork, misterjustin would be proud!

    • You’re going to have to drop me his link again.

      • his blog hasn’t been updated in quite some time, he’s mainly on facebook now. He generally works at a judge at some events, and one of his pet peeves is cork basing that looks like cork. You did an awesome job camouflaging it.

        • I see. I know I recognize the name, just couldn’t place the blog.

          I agree with him on the cork; well, obviously :) I’ve seen so many just gluing stuff on cork and painting the cork as-is. It’s neat the first time you see it, less so the 300th. I just see it as a part of the basing process, not the process itself.

  • I like it so far. The textures and layers look good :)

    • It’s still in infancy stages, but thank you.

  • I almost bought a couple of sheets of cork when I was at the hardware store this afternoon picking up more glue and primer. Now I’m really wishing I had. It’s much better for building up some variation in height than anything I’ve got. For some reason I never really thought of covering it up with filler like that, and I’m also not a huge fan of just plain cork basing (For the most part. Now that I say that, I’m kind of considering leaving a few bits poking out here and there, kind of like boulders or bedrock that’s been exposed by erosion).

    • Definitely, you could leave spots exposed for that. I have a few areas that are like that. They’re smooth from the spackle, and I don’t have sand on it, so I planned to do just that; make it look rocky.

  • Looking good.
    Do you have a paved driveway? This time of year is perfect for getting a nice mix of sand for basing. All the road grit from the winter sits in nice piles ready for harvesting. Spread it out to dry for several days, then run it through a sieve a bit at a time. That’s what I did for my current basing materials. All the larger stuff in one tub, all the fines in another. I take a pinch of larger stuff, sprinkle it on my glue spots on the base, then cover the rest with fines.

    • I do, and that’s a good idea. I’d probably leave mine all mixed in together though. No need to create random when it is :)

      • I find that after a while and usage, the material settles. All the big stuff ends up on top, all the fine at the bottom of the container. That’s why I sifted mine.

        • I didn’t think of that. Good point.

          • I suppose if you put it in a closed container and just shook it every now and then that would work. I had mine in an old burger king cup. Lol.

            • haha! I think I can manage that ;)

  • Warren Falconer

    Glad the tutorial was useful! Looking good.

%d bloggers like this: