Creating a Dark Angels Army Part 2

Dark Angels: The 1st squad finished
1st Squad finished

Well that’s another week gone by and after a few tears and spilt paints I have finished the 1st squad of my new army. The squad is a tactical squad of 10 marines with 1 missile launcher, 1 flamer and a sergeant with power fist and bolt pistol. I am quite happy with the paint scheme for both the power armour and the robes. I have painted them completely with the new citadel paints and have found them a pleasure to use. I also got the large dark angels transfer sheet from Forgeworld and have to say it is proving to be a real bargain for someone like me who isn’t talented enough to paint the shoulder pad details by hand.

Dark Angels
The completed squad

The robes were painted as for bone on the G.W sites painting guide section and starts with a base of zandri dust followed by a seraphim sepia wash, then I gave them a 1st highlight of ushabti bone followed by a 2nd highlight of screaming skull. I missed out the final white highlight as I was happy enough with the result.

Dark Angels
Another angle

For the armour I started with a caliban green base followed by a wash with biel-tan green. I then highlighted with warpstone glow and after trying another highlight of moot green which I wasn’t happy with I then re did the warpstone glow and finished with a glaze of waywatcher green which I think looks fine for the battle top.

I gave the guns and eyes a coat of mephiston red and a coat of balthasar gold drybrushed with golden griffon onto the chest eagles. The bases were coated in the texture paint astrogranite and drybrushed with longbeard grey.

So its been a good week as I got the squad finished which was what I had hoped to achieve. The only problem I have had this week was with a comment that was left by Kamui in which he asked if I intended creating an all robed dark angels army. This really got me thinking about how cool this would actually look and although it is now relatively easy to make all the figures robed using the dark angels sprues I already have a few marines lying around and also had an assault squad that I had painted up as dark angels but they aren’t robed. Solution would either be to buy all new miniatures which would be quite expensive or else try sculpting robes on to the minis myself. Now I have used green stuff before but only for the usual gap filling I have never attempted to sculpt with it so my thinking is that I can kill two birds with one stone and make the army very unique by doing the sculpting myself which will also serve to help me improve my sculpting skills so without further ado here is a few pictures of the first assault marine that I have tried to put robes on.

From the front it is difficult to see as the robe is pretty much the same green colour as my model but you can make out the robe at either side and the flow is back out from the miniature.Dark Angels

Dark Angels

So until next week when I will hopefully unveil my robed assault squad happy gaming.

Please Rate This Article

Please take a second to rate this. It helps us deliver to you the stuff you enjoy.

Creating a Dark Angels Army Part 2
Please rate this article to let us know what you think

More Super Awesome Articles

Don't leave yet! There's more stuff to read!

6
Leave a Reply

avatar
3 Comment threads
3 Thread replies
0 Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
4 Comment authors
grumcoastiecraigKamuiThor Recent comment authors

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

  Subscribe  
newest oldest most voted
Notify of
Thor

Nice to see the army coming together so quickly.

The robes aren’t bad for your first attempt. I find it’s easier to take some green stuff (GS), and flatten it out and smooth it prior to attaching it to the model. Once you flatten it out you can then cut it with a hobby knife to the rough shape you need, then attach it. Once you put it on let it sit for a good 10-15 minutes to harden up a little and then go in and smooth it out.

Like anything, it just takes practice and time but you’ll get it, especially if you do this on your whole army.

Kamui

Hah! I do have a knack for causing people extra work!
I’m glad you’re taking on the challenge, I think the end result will be well worth it. It looks like you’re off to a good start.
I don’t know if you’ve looked online for tutorials but I found two that I like. Ron at From The Warp has a good one for tabards using card as a backing that you might find helpful for half or split robes:
http://fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2010/11/greenstuff-tabard-tutorial.html
And this one does a good job of breaking down the process of the upper sections:
http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/CH08_03MoF_003_A.html
Overall I don’t think you’re far from producing some great looking models.

Grumhelden

Looks fantastic mate, love me some DA

Write for Us