A friend of mine had given me the Forge World upgrade to make a Chaos Knight Titan. The problem is that some of the parts have issues.
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. The commission earned helps maintain this site.
First up, the top carapace was super slick. After having soaked it in Simple Green for a week, and having washed it a few times during that process, the release agent was still there. It appears that the very unlikely chance had happened, the release agent molded with the resin.
I took to Facebook and Twitter with my problem, and Vidpui had answered. His recommendation was to seal the part with a matte sealer first, then prime it.
I gave it a shot, and I sealed the entire thing with a pretty heavy coat of matte sealer. Normally the matte sealer will be dry in around 10 minutes, but 30 minutes into it there were still some wet spots. Most had dried, but a few problem areas were present.
I curbed my desire to mess with it, and I let it sit for the rest of the day. The following day I checked on it, and amazingly the entire thing dried, and dried matte! See below.
The next problem to tackle was that the top carapace had some very thin areas in the resin. So much so that there were holes in spots. The holes had become more pronounced with my vigorous cleaning of it earlier as well.
To fix that, I went in with green stuff and sculpted in some more of the armor tears that are already on there. I went over the holes and tried to match things up as best I could.
That taken care of, the final problem was one of the shin armor plates. A huge chunk was missing out of one of them.
I didn’t want to fill that whole area in with green stuff, that would be a ton of work, so I decided to build it up, and then finish it off with sculpting.
I started off by putting a very thin piece of plasticard behind the plate, and then cut it to shape.
Using more plasticard, I began building it up and getting the shape more refined.
From here it was time to blend things together with Green Stuff, and flesh out the details.
I have to admit, I’m really pleased with the fix on that shin plate. I knew how I wanted to fix it, but I thought for sure I’d screw something up. Instead, I think I nailed a pretty spot-on repair job. It’s something I’ve noticed with my sculpting, I can replicate pretty well, but doing creative things tends to get me. Oh well, we all have our strengths.
Now that the hard work is done, it’s almost time to get things primed. I’m doing some small gap filling on the Foe-reaper Chainsword, and also waiting on magnets to come in for the torso.
Normally I would probably be painting this Chaos Knight Titan by next week, but life has intervened, and I won’t have a free weekend until April if I’m lucky. So, things will progress but at a very slow pace for a while.
Update: The Knight is completely assembled and painted. You can check out the completed Chaos Knight Titan.
- Creative Twilight’s Future and My Thoughts (Feedback Welcomed!) - December 4, 2021
- My Top Gift Ideas for Miniature Painters & Hobbyists + Gifts to Avoid - December 2, 2021
- The Year That Was 2020 and Where I’ve Been - January 17, 2021