There’s a project I had been putting off for a while, rebasing my Flesh Hounds of Khorne. When I built them I put them on bike bases but since then they are now on 50mm bases standard. I could have left them on their current bases but by putting them on the 50mm bases I would gain the ability for way more board control with the unit. Since I use them as a screen unit, a tarpit and fast objective grabbers, it was time I finally rebased the unit. Plus, this unit was based using a technique I no longer use, which was basically just gluing down snow flock. The ice method I used on the unit was terrible also.
Cutting the Bases Down
I had previously seen a tutorial on rebasing that I wanted to try out. There was no way I was going to try cutting their feet off their bases.
My first attempt was to try to cut from under the base with my hobby knife. I knew it really wouldn’t work but I kind of wanted to gauge things.
Next I tried to score the underside of the base to make snapping it off easy. That worked out pretty well but it wasn’t very fast and I had 10 of these to get done. I had done two this way but it quickly proved to not only be time consuming but a bit hazardous.
Lastly, I decided to grab an old pair of wire cutters and give that a shot. Bingo! These things chewed through the base easily and most of the time in a single cut. I would highly recommend this route to anyone else doing this tedious rebasing thing. It’s kind of hell on your hand after a while but less so, I’d imagine, than trying this the previous two ways I had.
I had to cut off some stuff on the underside and of course the side of the base as well. The wire cutter were invaluable in also removing the sides of the bases. I then primed my 50mm bases and glued these guys down.
Starting the Basing
I later noticed I had not cleaned the underside of some of the bases very well and had some gaps. I wasn’t overly concerned since part of my basing process is with snow and it would be easy to cover any major elevation changes. However, I decided to try to smooth out the transition with the sand I use for basing.
After that dried it was alright but not perfect. I had to trim down some of that sand with my hobby knife that got pushed up too high from being dunked into the sand container. Glue moves around when used in such a globby manner and then shoved down into the basing material. Sadly I forgot to get a shot of it after I trimmed down the excess
From there I did a second coat of sand to smooth the transition from the heavy handed glue and sand to the two bases. Thankfully that worked out pretty well. I have the old snow flock on there in spots but wasn’t worried about it because that would all get covered with the new snow.
Finishing it up
The hard work was done so it was on to normal basing procedures, which I’ve covered before in my snow basing tutorial and ice effects tutorial. Surprisingly I managed to knock these guys out over a few days. The first day I did all the grunt work of cutting and gluing things down. The second day I worked on the sand (wash & drybrush), and then the ice, which takes a while to dry. I then spent an hour the next day getting all the snow on there and that’s where they are at now. I’m going to take this as a chance to go over the models to see if I have to do any repair work. Once that’s done I’ll seal these guys and get a showcase posted up.
Update: I’ve since finished the basing and you can see the finished Flesh Hounds here.
- Creative Twilight’s Future and My Thoughts (Feedback Welcomed!) - December 4, 2021
- My Top Gift Ideas for Miniature Painters & Hobbyists + Gifts to Avoid - December 2, 2021
- The Year That Was 2020 and Where I’ve Been - January 17, 2021