I feel like I’ve been working on this model for a year but really it’s been six weeks. Six weeks is far longer than I normally spend on a single model. I went into painting this model knowing it would be slow and using it as a platform to learn some new techniques and to just become a better painter. You’d think after so long working on a model that it would be a work of art, it’s not. Rarely is it that the first time you try new techniques that you nail it. However, I did learn a lot in working on the Helbrute and regardless of the end result, that’s important for me. So, while this is no masterpiece, it was a great learning experience and ultimately that’s what I enjoy the most, learning.
A quick note on these shots. You’ll notice some glare, that’s the sealer – mostly noticeable on the last shot. Long story short, it’s not as dull as usual – my fault. I spent a few days debating whether or not to hit it up with Testor’s Dullcote, it was sealed with Krylon, but ultimately decided to let it go for fear of making matters worse. One of the hardest things to learn sometimes is when to accept something for what it is and move on and when to tinker. I put a lot of time and effort into this model and it’s just time to move on and accept the flaws. I do think going forward though that I’m going to use Testor’s Dullcote exclusively and not just as a fix for mistakes, as I use it now.
Enough blabbing, here’s the Helbrute.
All things considered, I’m happy with this model. I have mistakes in there, and things I could have done better, but I learned a lot. I think next time I want to learn some new techniques that I should choose a smaller model to do it and one that’s simpler in appearence.
Now to think of a name for this Helbrute…