Creative Twilight is a casual wargaming blog with a hobby focus. We cover conversions, sculpting, painting, and more. We also have lots of hobby tutorials, guides, and reviews for various gaming systems.
We’re just a bunch of people who like to play games. So, sit back, relax, join the community, and have fun.
EvantheNoob was kind enough to give me a Defiler he had. Thanks again, Evan. The thing is that it was one of the first models he had put together and so it’s in need of some TLC. So, I figured I’d document my progress on getting the Defiler cleaned up and ready for paint.
Here’s two shots as it was given to me.
Overall it’s not bad. The biggest thing is the mold lines; none of them are cleaned off. There’s also some pretty liberal gluing that went on and you can see it in spots. Also notice that back hatch isn’t on straight. There’s a gap all around the lower section the torso is glued on to, though it doesn’t show up as bad in these shots as it is in person.
I began taking it all apart.
Those front two leg halves would not come off so I wasn’t going to force it, however there wasn’t glue at the leg joint so I was able to remove the lower halves. The reaper autocannon wasn’t glued to the mount and the heavy flamer was but very minimally so that all came off cleanly. With some work I removed the torso so now I can clean that up more easily and then magnet mount it for easier storage.
Unfortunately the back two legs didn’t come out of the socket so well. They broke free with part of the lower body still glued on to the legs. Not a big deal though. The breaks are clean and they should glue back in seamlessly. Worse case I do a little green stuff work.
Since these shots I have filled in the gap around the lower torso platform and begun cleaning off the mold lines. I hate cleaning mold lines. I’m hoping to have this useable by Wednesday, 40K night at my FLGS, so more shots to come.