This has been one of those conversions that has a life of its own. Generally when I do a conversion I have a vague idea of where I’m going with it and I let inspiration guide me. That’s the ideal anyway.
Some conversions are just simple, like my Sorcerer I did. This Warpsmith though just goes on and on. Every time I feel like I’m at a good spot with it I come up with some other idea.
With that guiding inspiration though comes scale and scope which can get far larger than intended. Much the case with my Warpsmith here. Before I rattle on, some shots of where he’s at now.
The tentacles. I love them but they proved to be a bit of a thorn in my side. It was hard to get them exactly how I envisioned them and I made many tentacles to get to this point. They also occupy more space than intended. It’s hard to confine this model to a 25mm base with so much going on. It’s also hard to work all the tentacles into the model in a manner that looks good. Trust me, you can’t just make some tentacles without planning and think they’ll look great when glued on.
So, those tentacles grew out more than I had planned but I like the end result regardless. The way they are positioned it’s almost like the Warpsmith is sheltered inside them and I like that concept. The mechatendrils should be as much a part of the model as everything else and I feel like I got there. Hopefully you agree.
From here it’s just doing some final touches and cleanup. I’m sure I could spend weeks more on this model adding more here and there, but at this point I’m happy with him. Since these shots I did reposition the tentacle on the center backpack. It was positioned too much like the claw one.
Oh, I also came up with a name for him, Grimtech. Sounds a bit cheesy at first, but I like the sound of it.