This model has been near completion for some time. One of the things I wanted to work out was how to do icicles on the base. I tried four different techniques before finding the one I liked the most. The other techniques not only took a while to dry (24 hours), but weren’t nearly as convincing as I wanted. That’s what slowed down the process for me, trying all those techniques, and having to wait so long to decide if it was going to work or not.
Once I had that worked out, I realized that I wasn’t 100% happy with my snow basing. I won’t bore you all with the details, but I needed to do some testing on other models first. Once I was happy with the results on the test models, I was ready to wrap up the Sorcerer.
For those who haven’t been following closely, my big goal with this model was to work on blending, but to not spend hours on each single element of the model. I feel like I accomplished that with the Sorcerer. When you zoom in, you will see things aren’t perfectly blended, and I’m more than fine with that. For the table I feel like it looks good.
One of my things when painting models is that the process needs to flow. For me that means that things need to feel as though they are constantly moving forward. The last time I worked on blending a model, aiming for a higher quality than this, the process was just slow and painful. I constantly found myself getting aggravated, and when that happens then the fun in painting gets lost. I want good looking models, but I’m going to paint them in a way I enjoy (which will never be perfect), and in my own style.
As for the results, I’m very happy with how the Sorcerer came out. There were some struggles, but I’m going to try to not criticize my own work. We are, after all, our own worst critic. Instead, I’ll talk about what I really like about the model. Reworking my snow basing technique was a setback in terms of time, but I’m impressed with how it came out. The snow is far more convincing than any of my previous attempts. Also, I’m extremely happy with the icicles. It took me a week to work that out, but I can’t argue with the end result. I’m sure I’ll refine the process, and improve upon it in the future, but I think it looks good. If you’re wondering, the icicles are hot glue. All around I’m happy with my quick blending technique as well. It’s going to take me more than one model to fully work out the process, but I have a good start.
There you have it. My completed Chaos Sorcerer in Terminator armor. It took longer than I had planned, but I really did learn a lot on this model. Most of all, the model feels like my work. When I did my Herald of Khorne, to push my painting skills, it came out great, but it just didn’t quite feel like my work, my style. I suppose you’re either going to know what I’m talking about or not. It’s hard to explain.