After taking forever painting Magore’s Fiends, I managed to knock out my Thorns of the Briar Queen warband in short order.
A major reason for the speed on this warband was the simplicity of the models, though very cool models, and I painted them more to tabletop quality. When I worked on Magore’s Fiends, and especially my Ironskull’s Boyz, I spent a great deal of time blending their armor. There’s only 4 models in each of those warbands, so it’s time I didn’t mind spending. Hell, I put more effort into Garrek’s Reavers than this warband as I worked on their skin a lot.
However, for Thorns of the Briar Queen there’s 7 models in the warband. Granted, 7 is a far cry from batch painting squad after squad for 40K, but I wasn’t willing to commit hours and hours a model blending tirelessly.
Also, I really wanted to play around with the Hexwraith Flame technical paint. So, I decided on something simple and easy to get the warband on the table.
Aside: I love how painting Warhammer Underworlds warbands has seen me crank out more tutorials in a few months than years of working on 40K stuff. A major reason for that is the constant variety of stuff to work on. I’m thoroughly enjoying that.
Thorns of the Briar Queen Painting Showcase
Anyway, let’s move on to some pictures.
As always, click/tap for a larger version.
Varclav the Cruel
Nighthaunt Painting Recipes
These are mostly here for my own reference later, but of course anyone is more than welcomed to use these painting recipes.
Painting the Base
Base coat Mournfang Brown. Wash with Carroburg Crimson. Dry brush with Tuskgor Fur. Dry brush with Emperor’s Children. Wash with Carroburg Crimson. Dry brush with Emperor’s Children.
Administratum Grey base coat. Agrax Earthshade wash. Sepia wash in areas. Dry brush with Administratum Grey. Highlight with Administratum Grey
Painting Stone Tiles
Administratum Grey base coat. Agrax Earthshade wash and immediately add pools of Athonian Camoshade to it. Dry brush Administratum Grey. Wash with Athonian Camoshade. Highlight with Administratum Grey. Extreme highlight with White.
Painting the Cloth
Base coat Incubi Darkness. Shade with Abaddon Black. Highlight with Thunderhawk Blue. Extreme highlights with Fenrisian Grey.
I’m pleased with how the warband turned out. As I said, I was aiming for simple. I put some effort into the ghostly parts, making that the focal point, but the rest is all simple stuff.
The ghostly bits came out better on some models than others. The nature of the game when you’re mixing glazes, but I’m still happy with it. I did do some blending, obviously, but nothing like the insane work I put into the armor on my other warbands in terms of time and effort.
Individually, I don’t think these Nighthaunts are anything to write home about, but collectively I think they look great as a group, and that’s all I wanted.
So, there you have it, my Thorns of the Briar Queen all ready for the table.
I’m not sure what my next project is going to be. I have the Stormsire’s Cursebreakers since I got the Nightvault starter set, but much like the Steelheart’s Champions, they aren’t a big interest of mine. However, like I did with Steelheart’s Champions, I’ll eventually get them painted once I come up with something fun and different to do with them. I just hate the gloriously golden good guy paint schemes.
I have been considering picking up the Chaos team for Blood Bowl to use in my league’s next season. Maybe I’ll do that and change gears for a bit…
Please Rate This Article
Please take a second to rate this. It helps us deliver to you the stuff you enjoy.
Thorns of the Briar Queen Painted for Warhammer Underworlds